Author Topic: VWS and METAR report  (Read 10278 times)

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
Re: VWS and METAR report
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2024, 05:13:14 PM »
Did not have time to check. At least it works. Since my wife didn’t complain, I didn’t insist lol

Offline Startestor

• Skyimager
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2024, 11:39:53 AM »
New Member looking to keep my VWS icons working.

Sent this message to support@weatherforyou.com :
Hi Support,

I have been using the Ambient Virtual Weather Station for many
years and it would access wxdata.weatherforyou.com port 80 to get METAR
information from my local airport (KUZA). That access is now failing
with the following error message: Forbidden - You don't have permission
to access /pub/data/observations/metar/stations/KUZA.TXT. It appears
there has been some change to the access method that software I have is
using. I would like to see if there is a way to regain access to this
data so my website can display current and correct local weather again.
Is this possible, and if so, could you tell me what is required so I
can modify my end to work with your server? Thank you very much.

Here was my response:
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:27:58 -0600

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your message.

The requests for the METAR data were forwarded from HAMweather.net to my servers after they stopped providing this information about seven years ago. Also I donated my time to support those that participated in PWSWeather.com. I was glad to do this since it was originally my idea almost 25 years ago and I wanted to continue supporting the personal weather station community.
Last year AerisWeather (previously HAMweather) and PWSWeather.com were sold to Vaisala. Vaisala determined our continued partnership and my contributions posed a potential security risk since I wasnGÇÖt an employee. They withdrew all mutual benefits from me, my site and my company.-á So I am not able to supply this data to the personal weather station community anymore.
Like I say PWSWeather was originally my idea so this is not something I wanted.-á But I really had no choice in the matter.-á If I would have known this was going to happen I probably would have set it up differently.-á But it is what it is.

Joe Torsitano
WeatherForYou.com LLC

I am a software engineer and write code for many systems. Windows applications are fairly easy to write and NOAA has a JSON API for retrieving METAR data. Once the data has been retrieved, there is a function for creating the CSV file. So I believe I can create a program that runs as a service on a windows PC (best to be on the PC running VWS) to provide the data that Joe was providing. I just need some knowledge from the folks here (if known) of where the originally downloaded METAR data was put so VWS could use it to update the ICONS and generate the reports. If someone can provide that, I will work on the code to generate a windows installer for a service that will run at a frequency that you supply.

Thanks for you help ......

Frank 

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2024, 12:37:20 PM »
Easy - these are kept in the c:\vws\metar folder

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2024, 05:59:34 PM »
Yes, and they use the unparsed (raw) format from tgftp.nws.noaa.gov.

VWS hasn't been maintained in years, and will likely not have any updates since Ed retired.

The underlying issue is that http access to tgftp.nws.noaa.gov is now deprecated (https and FTP still works), but VWS use of https is likely suspect in that its libraries likely use a (now deprecated) old TLS version which is not supported on the newer tgftp service.  So, VWS with static code will likely not be able to directly refresh the file in c:\vws\metar again.

What I don't know is whether VWS parses the METAR when it gets it from the internet, or downloads, then parses the file in the filesystem.
If the latter, then having a second process refresh the file contents would work.  If the former, then having a new file in vws\metar directory would have no effect.

Maybe it's time to switch to supported weather software -- I can suggest CumulusMX (being actively developed) or weewx (also actively developed) or Weather-Display (still supported, development in suspension).

I, too, run VWS, but not for my primary site (Weather-Display/WeatherLink) -- just to have testing for the Saratoga template VWS plugin.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2024, 07:49:53 PM »
Ken is right.  We came up with a “hack “ to restart vws hourly to get it to parse the metar files.  It generates CSV files which are used for the icons.

Once the program is running even if we replace the metadata file it doesn’t update the CSV files. What I’m not sure of is if the csv file was created by a second process would it use it for icon updates. I doubt it. 

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2024, 04:37:52 PM »
FYI for all those interested, I was getting notifications that Win 10 will not be supported in the future.  I managed to upgrade to Win 11 on my very old i3 Dell Laptop using this method:  https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-install-windows-11-the-way-you-want-and-sneak-by-microsofts-restrictions/.

Ping me if you want more info. I had to manually update the prolific USB to serial driver but I'm happy to report all is working under Win11!

anything