Author Topic: MeteoBridge with old Weatherlink indipendent  (Read 682 times)

Offline AbeteBianco

MeteoBridge with old Weatherlink indipendent
« on: July 18, 2024, 05:15:24 PM »
Hello, I have a Davis VP2 online which works with the USB datalogger connected to a pc 24/24h running the old Weatherlink software.

To improve the system I am interested in the MeteoBridge Pro 2.0 which is capare to read data directly from ISS.

For network reasons I need to keep the old system working as well.

My question is whether it seems feasible to you to add MeteoBridge to the current system in a completely independent way.

So MeteoBridge reads independent, PC+Weatherlink reads independent.

Also, is it feasible to place MeteoBridge and the Davis console next to them, or is there a risk of interference? Do you have any experience with this? Thanks

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: MeteoBridge with old Weatherlink indipendent
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 06:30:39 PM »
Yes any Meteobridge model with RF (includes MBPro 2) will run independently. Reception distance is not quite the same as a VP2 console but there is the option to re-transmit from the VP2 console to the MB or include a Davis repeater.

There's no interference issues, both are simply receiving the same transmissions if connecting direct to the ISS 

Offline AbeteBianco

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2024, 09:14:04 AM »
Yes any Meteobridge model with RF (includes MBPro 2) will run independently. Reception distance is not quite the same as a VP2 console but there is the option to re-transmit from the VP2 console to the MB or include a Davis repeater.

There's no interference issues, both are simply receiving the same transmissions if connecting direct to the ISS

Thank you for your response. From this point of view, the RF reception mode seems promising. Sensors are a few dozen meters away, signal should be strong.

However, I have doubts:

1. How does PRO2 work when the Internet connection is temporarily missing ? (Can it store readings without sending them to the network for how long?)
2. What happens in case of power outages? Does the system have a backup battery? I guess in case it is turned off it is not possible to take a reading.

Since consumption is very low is there any alternative to guarantee power? A first step I would see is to connect it to a UPS, which, however, only guarantees me 1 hour. (For comparison, the old Davis console guarantees a few months of autonomy).

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2024, 06:01:38 PM »
1. Obviously any such device with no internet won't be uploading (as such) however from a data retention perspective the MBPro2 has a 16Gb industrial MicroSD so will depend on just how much data you are storing and how you have it configured. As a comparison one of my MBpro's with 1GB USB tells me I have 80.3 years left  :lol: 

2. Has no built in power backup so how ever long you might need to keep things running in an outage is something you would need to implement. UPS is one option, I prefer a 12 volt battery of the size (up to 100ah on solar or mains charger) required with 12/5V converter and LVD in order to keep reserve power for other loggers. There is never any absolute guarantee with power but a battery/solar combo is far better than UPS/Mains power.

A VP2 console may run for months on internal battery with a standard logger but data retention will only be relative to the archive interval used. An VP2 archive interval of 1 minute, 42 hours before data is lost, 5 minutes, 8 days before data loss etc regardless of power/battery life.

Offline AbeteBianco

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2024, 04:05:58 PM »
1. Obviously any such device with no internet won't be uploading (as such) however from a data retention perspective the MBPro2 has a 16Gb industrial MicroSD so will depend on just how much data you are storing and how you have it configured. As a comparison one of my MBpro's with 1GB USB tells me I have 80.3 years left  :lol: 

2. Has no built in power backup so how ever long you might need to keep things running in an outage is something you would need to implement. UPS is one option, I prefer a 12 volt battery of the size (up to 100ah on solar or mains charger) required with 12/5V converter and LVD in order to keep reserve power for other loggers. There is never any absolute guarantee with power but a battery/solar combo is far better than UPS/Mains power.

A VP2 console may run for months on internal battery with a standard logger but data retention will only be relative to the archive interval used. An VP2 archive interval of 1 minute, 42 hours before data is lost, 5 minutes, 8 days before data loss etc regardless of power/battery life.

Thank you. It might be feasible and I will evaluate.
One more question: similar to WSWIN is there a way to apply a calibration to rainfall data (scaling factor)?

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2024, 04:19:45 PM »
.... One more question: similar to WSWIN is there a way to apply a calibration to rainfall data (scaling factor)?

Have no background with WSWIN but all MB sensors can be Offset and factored