Author Topic: Ecowitt Lightning detector  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Grymtr

Ecowitt Lightning detector
« on: August 15, 2024, 12:07:41 PM »
I am pretty new to this business of backyard weather, and recently purchased the WS90 kit, a couple of moisture sensors, and the "lightning detector".  I knew before I purchased it that many folks would like to toss it against a wall, but I took the chance hoping things would be different for me.  Seems I was wrong.  I cannot confirm if it works with actual lightning, because I have not had many storms roll off Lake Ontario this week, but I can confirm like many others, that I seem to be getting false positives.  That was expected, and no matter the DIP position, they just happen.  I can accept a couple, but when they do happen, and I have had many.  They are always 14km away.  Always.  I searched high and low, but other than the typical false positives, and dip switch configs, nobody else has mentioned what those distances are when they get the false positives.  What has your experience been?  Is it always the same distance?  When it does actually detect "REAL" lightning, do these distances change??

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: Ecowitt Lightning detector
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024, 12:31:17 PM »
I can confirm that mine works quite well. I get perhaps 1 or 2 false positives a month and yes It does detect strikes and give varying distances. I do find that some equipment can cause false detection but I'm talking about builders stuff like vibro rollers or other large equipment used when the do road repairs etc but otherwise not an issue for me, usually this stuff also causes interference on the TV as well!

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2024, 12:34:49 PM »
When it does actually detect "REAL" lightning, do these distances change??

Yes. Had my first lightning (15 strikes) detected the other day and distances changed from 15 down to 4 and up again to 12 miles. All dip switches down (default). . . Detector is currently inside in a sun lounge, maybe range would be better outside? (Although it was only a narrow front going through.)

EDIT: added screenshot
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 02:49:37 PM by Vasco »
Ecowitt GW1102 (with GW2000) + Weather Display in Windows 10

Offline Grymtr

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2024, 01:12:14 PM »
Hmmm, so maybe when "actual". lightning is near, the distance will change, and I can just filter out the 14km junk.  Originally it was in the backyard on a 10ft pole.  I have recently moved it to my new pole on the roof.  It's about 40ft off the ground with no obstacles.  The WS90 loves the extra height for more accurate wind vs 30ft from the house on that same 10ft pole.  Today I have 2 false positives.  Could be a neighbor's AC, as some days seem busier than others.  I checked my own behavior with the oven, AC, etc, and the times do not match up, so its clearly something else, and maybe, its really something from 14km away.  Government test site.  haha.  (Ignore the 12km). That was a test done with my induction stove from 3ft away.  Apparently 3ft is 12km.  I would say ecowitt has some QC work to do on these things.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 01:26:05 PM by Grymtr »

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2024, 01:35:30 PM »
My lightning detector works very well. I originally had false positives, usually several per week. I changed the sensitivity from the default (medium-high) to medium. That removed some of the false positives, but not all. I then experimented by moving it around to several different locations. I noticed I got no false positives when it was located inside my house. The false positives seemed to increase at certain locations in my back yard, especially the closer I had it to a neighbor's garage. I finally settled on a spot in my back yard in a tree that is about 80 feet from my neighbors garage. It has been in that location for over 2 years now and is working well.

I would suggest you remove it from the pole on your house so you can easily move it to different locations for testing, including locations inside your house. Leave it in each test location for a couple of days and record the number of false positives. You will probably find a spot that works best.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline n3rv0x

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2024, 02:37:47 PM »
I am pretty new to this business of backyard weather, and recently purchased the WS90 kit, a couple of moisture sensors, and the "lightning detector".  I knew before I purchased it that many folks would like to toss it against a wall, but I took the chance hoping things would be different for me.  Seems I was wrong.  I cannot confirm if it works with actual lightning, because I have not had many storms roll off Lake Ontario this week, but I can confirm like many others, that I seem to be getting false positives.  That was expected, and no matter the DIP position, they just happen.  I can accept a couple, but when they do happen, and I have had many.  They are always 14km away.  Always.  I searched high and low, but other than the typical false positives, and dip switch configs, nobody else has mentioned what those distances are when they get the false positives.  What has your experience been?  Is it always the same distance?  When it does actually detect "REAL" lightning, do these distances change??
I have two in two different stations and they both work perfectly
The only thing I noticed was that on one that didn't detect lightning I had to change the position
Both are located in the south-east in two different regions

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2024, 04:47:16 PM »
I quite like my Ecowitt lightning detector, but it does have issues.

I get no false positives, but I can also pick up lightning from 80 miles away, across the English channel.
It detects lightning great when a storm is moving toward or away from me, but it fails to register any detections when a storm is overhead.

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2024, 05:00:16 PM »
. . . but it fails to register any detections when a storm is overhead.

Maybe a function of antenna orientation?
Ecowitt GW1102 (with GW2000) + Weather Display in Windows 10

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2024, 05:08:11 PM »
Maybe a function of antenna orientation?

No idea.

It hangs from the roof rafters in my loft, upright and freely by a piece of string.

Offline swright1957

• Wakefield Way PWS
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2024, 11:21:58 AM »
My Ecowitt lightning detector is just under my wittboy station on a 10 pole outside, and seems to work fine.
I get an alert for lightning and upon checking its correct.
"anything's possible with the weather"
www.hytheweather.co.uk/signaturebanner.gif

anything