Author Topic: Watson W8686 stopped communicating with Weathercloud  (Read 858 times)

Offline vBuda

Watson W8686 stopped communicating with Weathercloud
« on: August 29, 2024, 03:45:59 PM »
I hope I have posted this in the right place apologies if not

2 days ago I got an email from weather cloud to say my weather station was offline. It’s happened before and a quick reboot sorted things out however not this time
I’ve checked it’s connected to the internet and it is
I’ve checked station ID & key
I’ve checked wunderground & ecowitt and they are offline as well. I’ve double checked their station ID etc are correct and they are
If I use the ecowitt app I can see the battery condition of the sensors and sensor arrays but no other data

Can anyone help point me in the direction of what to check next

Offline R.Sidetrack

Re: Watson W8686 stopped communicating with Weathercloud
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2024, 04:59:21 PM »

I’ve checked it’s connected to the internet and it is

If I use the ecowitt app I can see the battery condition of the sensors and sensor arrays but no other data
Perhaps you could explain to us how you checked it IS connected to the internet.

Also, which Ecowitt app are you referring to?  I use both "Ecowitt" app and also "WSView Plus". If you don't yet have the WSView Plus app installed, Install it as it may be helpful here.

I'm thinking that the issue is indeed internet connectivity.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 05:01:11 PM by R.Sidetrack »
Graham

--- Variety of Ecowitt devices ---

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2024, 05:39:59 PM »
another Watson - poll says there is only one - me

Offline vBuda

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2024, 12:25:52 AM »
Hi Graham

I went into the settings to reconnect to the internet as I assumed that was the issue as all apps were not working and the screen said scanning and then displayed a list of possible connections with mine listed at the top as connected

I use apple ecowitt app ver 1.1.34

Offline R.Sidetrack

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2024, 08:19:21 AM »
I'm using Android so my Ecowitt app screenshot below may not be exactly the same as yours, but likely similar.  If your screen doesn't show similar info, test for  options/buttons  until you can see something similar.

I don't have a Watson, so my details are different. But the "Internet: Online" near the top indicates my device is online. If yours is showing something similar, then I'd say it thinks it is connected.

However, if you don't have a better option, I'd use the Reset button and re-setup the Watson. Annoying, but sometimes necessary.

Also, note the "Version" field. Clicking that should tell you if there is a more current firmware version available. If there is, I suggest upgrading the firmware. Probably can't do that until after you regain connectivity, although I'd click that first,  (before resetting) as a test to see what it says currently.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 08:25:59 AM by R.Sidetrack »
Graham

Offline vBuda

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2024, 08:55:43 AM »
These are my screen shots. It’s still showing online. I’ll try and attach it to my phondd we and see if that works then I’ll definitely know if the connection is incorrectly showing connected

Offline vBuda

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2024, 08:56:31 AM »
2nd x as creek shot

Offline R.Sidetrack

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2024, 09:22:19 AM »
 :D Well, it is small print, but here is an enlargement of a bit of your screenshot. It says "Offline", so you need to fix that.  Go through the process of scanning your WiFi network(s) and when you identify the correct one, be sure to use the correct password.

Then go back and check this same location to make sure the status is "Online".

Tip: for small print that's hard to read, I sometimes use my phone camera to enlarge it.  Usually I don't need to actually take the photo, but in this case, make a screenshot, then enlarge the screenshot if necessary.

Graham

Offline vBuda

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2024, 02:16:37 PM »
I Connected to a different network and everything is exactly the same.

This has been trouble free since new so unclear what has changed. Will have to try a factory reset tomorrow

Offline vBuda

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2024, 07:10:06 AM »
I connected to my phones personal hotspot and got it up and running.

Looks like it’s the hub that’s causing the problem. Damn Vodafone sh***ty hardware

Offline R.Sidetrack

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2024, 07:56:33 AM »
 [tup]
Great that you have identified the problem! Perhaps a reset of the Vodafone device will solve that issue, as a hotspot is really only a temporary solution.
Graham