Author Topic: WS68/WS90 wind calibration.  (Read 331 times)

Offline luk5566

WS68/WS90 wind calibration.
« on: October 03, 2024, 04:03:56 AM »
I currently have both sensors. As the saying goes, "a man with one watch knows the time, a man with two is never sure"  :-) I know WS68 is a better sensor so I sort of  "know the time", but I'm interested in new tech (ultrasonic) and the hobby is not at a level for me where I'd spend lots of money for professional gear.

So I'm starting this thread to compare results with others that may have more than one wind sensor in the same location and one of them is WS90 or WS68. I'd expect WS90 to pick up low velocity wind (in the region of 1m/s and less) better due to cup inertia. I'm seeing some of that, but also as if a constant value of approximately 1m/s is added on top of the WS90 output.

Have a look at this last 24h (I show temperature/humidity and rain during this time just to show what else was going on). The values are computed as per the WMO 10 minute moving average standard. Both sensors are not mounted at  a proper height - only 2m above the ground, about 2m between both sensors on flat field, with no obstruction from typical wind directions.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Now, it would be fairly easy to just apply an offset to the reading, so I'm not asking how to do this. I'm asking if this is common for others that have ws90 and something to compare it to (prefferably a traditional sensor). And if yes, did you notice the value changing depending on other factors? (short term freak readings are a separate matter)

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
    • TurismoMeteo OdV Webcam Streaming and Weather Stations live
Re: WS68/WS90 wind calibration.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2024, 02:37:22 PM »
can you upload some photo of the sensors ? Wich firmware hs the ws90 ?
www.turismometeo.it
Webcam and Weather Stations live network from Italy

Offline luk5566

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:16:32 AM »

Do you have WS90 and another sensor to compare the two? If so, what is the difference for you?

WS90 Firmware is reported as 143 by the sensor. WS68 doesn't report it's firmware.

Here is a photo showing both. As I said they are not at prescribed height, but they are right next to each other. I'd love to hear from someone who has a similar setup. It doesn't even have to be these exact sensors.

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
    • TurismoMeteo OdV Webcam Streaming and Weather Stations live
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:54:16 AM »
ok, good job, update the ws90 to the latest firmware version, then do the calibration with the CAL button in a room, without wind, then re-install everything outside and let us know how it goes
www.turismometeo.it
Webcam and Weather Stations live network from Italy

Offline luk5566

« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:54:09 AM »
ok, good job, update the ws90 to the latest firmware version, then do the calibration with the CAL button in a room, without wind, then re-install everything outside and let us know how it goes

I never calibrated my ws90, but it does go to zero when there is absolutely no wind.

Upgrading the firmware will make all the data I've got so far essentially useless so unless there is something wrong I know this will fix with the sensor I'm reluctant to upgrade.

The change log says there is "enhanced accuracy" and "wind sensor optimisation". What I'm seeing is does not look like inaccuracy, it is an almost constant offset of 0.9 to 1.3 m/s.

I started this thread to find out if this is what these sensors do... Maybe this is caused by the rotating sensor inertia and high end ultrasonic sensors compensate for it?

Unless someone here has a WS90 and a ws68 (or another rotating sensor). I doubt we'll know.