Author Topic: CAMPBELL SCIENTIFIC AND WEATHER DISPLAY  (Read 518 times)

Offline VE2BYW

CAMPBELL SCIENTIFIC AND WEATHER DISPLAY
« on: October 06, 2024, 10:00:01 AM »
Hi
My question is: My Campbell scientific station will be at 1 mile from my home. There is internet aviable at the station. Is it possible to connect Weather Display from my home to the Data Loger at the site via FTP to send data ?
Sorry for my bad English....i live in Quebec Canada !
Thank you for answering.
Jean-Robert VE2BYW
« Last Edit: October 06, 2024, 10:12:25 AM by VE2BYW »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: CAMPBELL SCIENTIFIC AND WEATHER DISPLAY
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2024, 06:58:19 AM »
Your English is far better than my French!

I use CronPakBusNew in the Weather Display program to get data from my Campbell Scientific CR3000 and CR1000 to feed the WD program.

Those are on a LAN, so I cannot say how the interface might be set  up to use the internet to provide an IP address for the CronPak to go to for interaction.  I haven't done much with connecting to an IP address which is remote.

At the remote location there is internet,  you say.  Is there a LAN driven by a router there?  I  know most routers have a way of opening up an IP address on the LAN so an outside connection can be made, but don't know the details.  I think some people playing very fast game interactions with other game players have a way of enabling a locally supplied IP to be addressed from anywhere there is internet, but never have done it and yet must be easy to do.  The security of opening  up a LAN IP address to the outside world is something I recall is a major must-do if you are considering it. 

Then, I assume, whatever that IP address is would be entered into the driver that WD uses (cronpakbusnew) to retrieve data from that remote IP address.

Can you furnish more details on your station?  What datalogger are  you using?  Is it  up and running on your LAN now and the station willl just be moved to the remote site and set up, or is this a new project and all the details need to be worked out yet?

Dale
K9ELD
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline VE2BYW

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2024, 07:56:29 PM »
The weather station is not at my home. The weather station is 1 mile from here at the University.
I just want to know if it is possible to link my WeatherDisplay at home to the output of there DataLoger by a internet link.

Here the link to the weather station:

https://eos.meteo.mcgill.ca/stations/5/live-data

Have nice weekend.

Jean-Robert VE2BYW

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2024, 10:31:33 AM »
That is one serious installation!

I looked at the other stations listed and what a layout and what an investment.

As to your original question about tapping into the data out from that station, I think the next step would be to find the person in charge of the station and ask if there is a public portal set up for taking data off the station.  Being a university, they may be more liberal in allowing access. 

Here in the State of Wisconsin, our department of transportation has  many installations along the State roads with data being gathered.  You would think that since the citizens and taxpayers pay for it and there is nothing 'secret' about the data that access would be open.  Over 5 years I have been trying to gain access to just the reports that the road maintenance crews get to see to plan on plowing snow, etc.

The project has been in place in other states and it seems the same response I get here that they are working on it and will be available in 6 to 12 months.  I need to call the guy again to see about this since it has been something that I'd still like but have forgotten to follow up on.

Thanks for this new weather source your university and other sites provide.  It is always fun to look. 

Dale

PS  Please post a message if you figure out how to do it and good luck.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php